Monday, February 17, 2014

"We are Love, We are One"

"In Russia, many people have whats a called a “Dash Cam” which are installed in their cars, so they can record what happens in front of them on the road. This compilation of footage recorded by those cameras will leave you in tears, and make you believe in humanity at the same time."






We are people with a capacity to love wholeheartedly and unconditionally.

I want to dissect that sentence. 

Capacity. By capacity, I mean potential; the ability to love, and do so wholeheartedly and unconditionally. Because it is something we are able to do, it is something we must choose to do. Love is a choice. Everyday we have to wake up and decide to be understanding instead of short, compassionate instead of indifferent, and kind instead of selfish. Our hearts are enormous and good, and we can fill them with empathy for an unlimited number of people, in an unlimited number of ways. 

Love. It's a verb. The most beautiful thing about the Russian dash cam video is that all of those people showed love by acting. By physically getting up and doing something. We are constantly surrounded by ways to express love and appreciation with words. Options for instant communication are so abundant, they're almost bombarding. But it takes a special kind of love to act; it is pure love. It's a vulnerable love. It's a perfect love. No screens or words to hide behind: just you, your hands, and your unwavering kindness. 

Recently on one of my afternoon runs, I was approaching a driveway where a woman was walking out to fetch her empty trash cans. She wasn't old, but she wasn't particularly young, either. When I saw her, I had the thought to offer to take her trash cans in for her. 

I didn't do it.

"I'm sweaty and disgusting and out of breath. She might think I'm too forward. Besides, she's not like, struggling with the cans or anything." I thought, and I ran the whole way home regretting my selfish justification. 

And, guess what, I still feel kind of sick about it. I completely passed up an opportunity to show my love for her as a fellow human being, and to show God my love by serving her. We cannot fear action; we must be fearless doers of good. I failed that time, but we always have the ability to keep trying. 

Wholeheartedly. Without reservation. Without hesitation.

Brené Brown, TED Speaker and author of the booming Daring Greatly, often writes and speaks about what she calls "Wholehearted Living". She writes, 
"Wholehearted living is about engaging in our lives from a place of worthiness. It's about cultivating the courage, compassion, and connection to wake up in the morning and think, no matter what gets done and how much is left undone, I am enough. It is going to bed at night thinking, yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable and sometimes afraid, but that doesn't change the truth that I am also brave." - Brené Brown, Daring Greatly
 Furthermore, wholehearted living is about being able to see that others, too, are enough. It's seeing others through the lens of worthiness. It's looking at someone and thinking, "that person is imperfect and vulnerable and maybe afraid, but he is worthy of my love and compassion," and then, having the courage to be embrace them with an open heart.

Unconditionally. We live in a society plagued with conditional love. One where the conservative despises the liberal, where the Democrat and the Republican can't hold an understanding conversation, and where we allow things like gay rights and abortions get in the way of our natural ability to love, despite political views or personal life choices. I think it's time for a group hug. I think it's time we give the homeless guy 5 bucks and a smile. I think it's time for more hugs and less judgement. Because as Phil Robertson said after the shenanigans with A&E: 


"You don't have to compromise your convictions to be compassionate."


1 comment:

  1. Julia can I just tell you how much I love this? Not sure why I felt like reading your blog today, but your thoughts make me happy.

    You know, I had a really similar experience with ignoring a prompting to help someone with shovelling their snow recently. It's crazy how easy it is to rationalize it away and regret it later! But what's even crazier is how many promptings you get once you really start acting on them. It's so cool how we,as humans, have that gift to be able to sense and fill the needs of those around us. Such a blessing. ^_^

    ReplyDelete