Monday, August 26, 2013

Friends in the Outdoors


I love the outdoors. I love people. I am PASSIONATE about going to incredible places with incredible friends to have incredible experiences. It's what we call "adventure", and it's what I live for.

I believe some of the best adventures we can have are not only spent in solitude, but shared with friends--old and new, young and old. I believe nature can be a powerful driving force for strong relationships and happy friends. Here are 4 reasons why.


1. Complete physical vulnerability 
The outdoors are real. There is a beautifully mysterious way about being in nature that brings peace to your soul and also reminds you how small you are. When you get out there, away from civilization, you're completely vulnerable to the cliff faces, the rain, the hail, the cold nights, the heat, the nature of the world around you. The beauty of it is that you can't fight it, you have to roll with it. Friends in the outdoors are the people who roll with the punches right next to you the whole way. They have your back. They give you their jacket or gloves when you're too cold. They ask you how many times you peed that day to make sure you're not going down to dehydration. They make being vulnerable a little easier; being vulnerable is more easily done with someone by your side.

2. "No judgement in the back country. Ever."
On my Philmont crew's first day of hiking, we had hiked about a mile when one of the girls kindly asked all of us to stop so she could catch her breath. "I feel so bad. I'm sorry I'm slowing you guys down." She had hardly finished talking when my Ranger said, loud and bold, "Let's get this straight: there is NO judgement in the back country. Ever. You stop when you need to. You cry when you need to. We're a team. Don't worry about it." Friends in the outdoors are a team. They're the kind of people you can sing like a dying cat in front of, cry with, or slow down on the trail when you need it.



3. Human connection 
In most outdoor settings, you come away from the distractions of the world. It's kind of mind blowing, how our phones, computers, jobs and duties draw us away from the people we're around every day. It's like we see people, but we don't really see them...you know?
In the outdoors, there are less screens to look at and more eyes to look into. Instead of getting your entertainment fill from Netflix, you get it from the guy next to you and his first date stories. As friends together in nature's vastness, you grow closer and more fond of your friendships as you realize how dependent you are on the other human beings around you. It's almost given that on my adventures, I'm bound to give more hugs, pat more backs, and french braid more hair than anywhere else. And it is so great. So, so great.

4. THE BEST support group on the planet
Friends in the outdoors care for each other's success and well-being. They want you to achieve your goals, because they know who you are and know what you're capable of. I will never forget one of the times that I ascended at my first Elevation--ascension was my poison and my passion then. I sucked at it, but I wanted to be fast and furious at slaughtering that rope. I remember one day harnessing up and telling a dear friend of mine, Erica, that I was going to get to the top without stopping. That I'd just climb right up that thing and forget the need to breathe. I did it, but I don't think I would have had she not been below me, reminding me of my favorite scripture and cheering me on the whole way up. People in the outdoors get that; they'll give you climbing-chalk-high-fives and belay you for hours just so you can pass the stupid crux.



I'm a big fan of the people I know, and I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had with them in the great outdoors, through Elevation, backpacking, climbing and more. I'm 100% positive I know the coolest people on the planet, and this post is for them.


2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite posts of yours. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm referring to your blog in preparation for writing a paper on beauty for my humanities class in college… I love this. my heart is full. i just wish the words would come at my command when i want them to so that i could portray things so well as you do.

    ReplyDelete