Saturday, October 5, 2013

For the Young Men

It's General Conference weekend. Can I get a HOLLA.

In this morning's session, Elder D. Todd Christofferson spoke specifically to the women of the church, young and old. He encouraged us, testifying that we are here for a divine purpose, and that our roles as wives, mothers, sisters, and nurturers are of noble beauty and respect. That we have a "beautiful serenity" about us when we do the Lord's work.

I loved his talk. I felt respected, loved, and protected, knowing that my role (future and present) as a young woman is recognized as ESSENTIAL and BEAUTIFUL. That feeling and the gratitude that came with it was only intensified when I got on twitter after the talk and saw all the young men on my feed ditto-ing everything Christofferson said, supporting and uplifting righteous young women all over the world. 

I thought to myself, I love this. I love feeling supported in my efforts to be the virtuous lady that I strive to be. And I owe the same support to the priesthood holders in my life. They are just as deserving of it (if not moreso) as I am.

I want to be a girl who uplifts. Who has a wide open heart. Who befriends the friendless. Who sees every blessing of the priesthood in her life and puts her whole heart into thanking those faithful men who bring so much joy to her life. 

Having brothers and a devoted father, I've seen the pressures our young men our under. I want to be a soft place to land. I want the young men to know that they can get off their white horse and show their weakness. I KNOW how important that authenticity is. I have also seen, first-hand, the power righteous young men hold, and it is something I am so grateful for and humbled by. 

I'm trying to be a devoted supporter of the men in my life. That's why I go to every Boy Scout Court of Honor, and dance with the shy ones at dances, and smile at the deacons when they pass me the sacrament. I want to be able to see the potential in every boy's life, and the beauty in the responsibilities the men around me hold. Hold me to that. Let me know when I'm being a jerk.

For the young men in my life, I want to be a friend. Someone who, maybe someday, will be looked back on as someone who was a defender and supporter of Helaman's army. In these fundamental learning years, it is one of my goals to encourage the youth around me, just as I need to be encouraged. I believe it is a beautiful thing to see the young men and women of the church help each other reap the blessings that are in store for them. I have been blessed enough to know some amazing youth who have inspired me to be the best I can be, and it is my prayer that I will always know people as good as the ones I know now.

So, to the young men in my life: thank you. Thank you for who you are. Thank you for the priesthood that you hold. Thank you for your willingness to "RISE UP, and be men of God." (yes, I totally creeped on the priesthood session of conference this evening). The same power of God that created the earth and the stars is restored on the earth today through you faithful and valiant doers of good. That power protects me, comforts me, and heals me, and for you men I could not be more grateful. 

Let us help each other to live up to our divine potential. Let us love, uplift, and laugh as together we chase after the blessings of the Temple. What a beautiful thing it will be when we all make it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment