Saturday, August 17, 2013

Dirt, love, airports and adventures

This week was Elevation. I would have gone (and graduated to the great and honorable E-Ninja wristband!), but I had to work. Instead, my brother took my place, and he and AJ traveled together to Crawdad, where they climbed, meditated, camped, laughed, and experienced the sheer joy that is Elevation.

They just got home. I met them at the airport.

Prior to going to the airport, I went climbing. I sat in the airport covered in chalk and sweat and looked super homeless, and smiled when I saw AJ and my brother in the exact same getup. Dirty. Exhausted. Chalk-stained. Sore. But with the light in their eyes that came only from the thrill and peace of their adventure. I know how it is. I've walked that airport with that same look half a dozen times.

When I saw AJ and gave her a hug, I remembered that that moment was just one of many similar to it. My life is adventure-packed, just because of the people in it and our same, adventure-loving souls. 

I've been privileged enough to know what it feels like to see one of your best friends in an airport and finally give them a hug again. My favorite phone calls have been the ones about hiking trips and  climbing techniques. Random texts like "Hey, east-coast road trip next summer?" are totally the norm. And nothing makes me happier than to see the people I hold dear venture out and come home fulfilled, and then seeing Facebook pictures a week later.

We all dance to the beat of different drums, but one thing we have in common is that WE ALL DANCE. I can't imagine having more understanding, passionate, beautiful friends.

I belong to an odd bunch of misfit kids who all met each other on the Internet, and it is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment