Wednesday, December 11, 2013

o babylon, o babylon, we bid thee farewell

If you listen to this song right now, this post will be a lot cooler because music speaks a whole lot better than I do.

I love all kinds of human beings. People are great. But there are certain kinds of human beings that I can't help but make my favorite. Like children, and Mormon missionaries.

Mormon. Missionaries.

I've been blessed enough to spend lots of time with lots of missionaries in recent months. In July, the Baytown 1st and 2nd wards combined to form the large and mighty Baytown ward, of which I'm proud to be a member. The ward started out with a small army of sixteen missionaries; today, we have twelve, and since July, the ward has had at least one baptism every single Sunday without fail. Not only are we bursting at the seams in members, but also in love, and light, and energy. I can feel it when I walk into Sacrament meeting.

My family has been blessed enough to often feed these young warriors. To have them in my home almost every weekend has been such an inspiration and a blessing as I prepare to serve a mission of my own. I'm happy to call the missionaries dear friends of mine; Sister Kaelin, Bolton and To'o have adopted me as their fourth companion, and Elder Mitchell and Gilbert make us laugh until we cry every time we're all around the table together. Serving alongside them is the sweetest part of my life.

Today was the HIGHLIGHT of my Christmas season. Every year, the Stake Relief Society feeds the entire Texas Houston East Mission at their Christmas Conference. The mission has doubled in the past year, and today we were privileged to feed around 200 missionaries. To be in the same room as so many pure hearts is overwhelming and beautiful and indescribable. I cry every year when they sing We'll Bring The World His Truth to us.

His work is being hastened in Houston, Texas. This is it. His truth is marching on. I testify of it with my whole heart.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is such a liberating thing. The missionaries are happy not only because they live it, but because they share it. As I've learned to share it, too, I've felt overwhelming happiness and satisfaction with who I am and what the Lord needs me to do. This is the first time in my life that I've seen this much spiritual progression in myself, and I can honestly say I have never been happier.

On Sunday, we had all the missionaries over for dinner and to watch the LDS Christmas Conference. We sat spread out around my living room in front of a glowing fireplace, being strengthened by the words of Prophets about our Savior. The spirit was there. I felt immense love for everyone in the room, and I felt their love radiating back at me. The gospel cleanses us and connects us as family. After the broadcast, everyone was smiling. The Elders told each other they loved each other, which is so rare to hear men say to each other, but so important. All nineteen of us hung out in my living room, where Dad gave the Elders his "Marriage 101" course. By the way, quote of the day:

"All women want is a man who knows who he is, where he's going, and how he's going to get there."
"Hey! That's like the plan of salvation!"

Missionaries are the cutest.

Joy. Joy is the only word I can use to describe it all.

We are free people. We have bid farewell to Babylon and all its iniquity as we have chosen to build Zion. And the miracles and blessings that have come with it are real. God is real. His kingdom is real. His love is real, and it is radiant, and it is for me and you.

I'm honored to be part of the work.

Harrah for Israel.

I love these people with my entire heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment