Friday, November 8, 2013

airplanes

this time tomorrow I could be on the other side of the planet. isn't that wonderful?

isn't it absolutely glorious that human beings said, "let's make metal fly", or, "let's make steel float", and bam, we did it?

and isn't it so phenomenal that we can use these things to connect with each other? with friends? with strangers?

I have a friend somewhere in this vast world. his name is Ravi, and I don't know why, but he popped into my mind today to say hello. I was on a full plane home from LA, sitting in my always-desired window seat, and he had the middle. we sat next to each other most of the flight without saying a word; I looked out the window and read my book while he watched a movie on his phone.

about 30 minutes before we landed, he turned his phone off, tapped me on the shoulder and asked--in his very thick Indian accent--for my name. "Julia," I said, "and what's yours?"

"Ravi. it is an Indian name, and it means 'the sun'. my parents named me that so I'll always remember to be a light to people. what does your name mean?"

"Julia has two meanings: youthful, and leader."

"that's beautiful."

"yeah. your name is, too."

I don't think I'll ever forget that conversation, or Ravi. and I'm inexpressibly grateful that he tapped me on the shoulder; had he not, I wouldn't ever write about that flight.

so thank you, kind stranger, for turning off your phone. thank you for telling me all about your childhood in India, and how rich the culture is there, and about your journey to America to gain an education. thank you for encouraging me to go to your home country and see how different and beautiful is. I will go someday. thank you for welcoming me home when we landed. most of all, thank you for shining. you, like the sun, are a moving phenomenon.



No comments:

Post a Comment